Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 25. Room Controller

Day 25. The day I felt like I belonged. Before this, it was mostly observing the tasks of the room controller, but now I'm glad to say that I finally have duties and tasks just like the room controller. I was finally assigning rooms and q-rooms for the housekeeping to clean after the guests have checked out. I guess I am sort of getting myself familiar with the Fidelio system used in the hotel. Fairus was such a dear. Ever so patient in teaching me about the systems and explaining the functions of each section. What can I say, college Fidelio and the hotel's Fidelio is totally different. Besides, I did have a terrible front office lecturer. Horrible woman caused me my misery.

So yeah, today is a pretty good day. I feel so much like a permanent team member. I was also brought out to the reception area today, where Fairus showed and explained the documents and procedures of checking in the guests. I guess it was all really interesting to see. For today, our occupancy status was about 95.6 % with guests checking in and out of the hotel, almost creating chaos in the reception area because guests are to be attended to immediately. The front desk was so chaotic that almost all of the team members ad managers at the office in the back area had to be called to the front in order to help attend to the guests. I must say that it was pretty hilarious to see everyone rushing to the front at the ring of the bell. Very soon, I would most probably be like them.

Anyways, I am beginning to see a future in this department. And quite frankly, this is where I'd rather be as compared to the past couple of weeks where I had to suffer in silence physically and mentally. Some challenge huh? But let's face it. I survived throughout the entire ordeal and I never want to go back there ever again! Guess the past couple of weeks would just be considered as some sort of cross exposure, just to know how each department works as well as the tasks and duties involved.

So that pretty much explains the day. I am obviously still learning alot, so just don't expect me to be an expert at what I do so at this early stage of my training. I still have room for improvement definitely. Slowly but surely, I will master the entire Fidelio system and then be ready to face the reception! Wish me luck! :)

No comments: