Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 16. Bad luck day.

Day 16. Today was prolly one of the bad luck days that I had to encounter. I managed to make a couple of mistakes today, making me feel really stewpid.

First mistake: My team leader says to top up the water on a customer's table. So yeah, I went to get the water pitcher. As I was pouring the water, he suddenly kinda yelled at me because the customers were having mineral water from the bottle. Still mineral water and sparkling mineral water. I felt dumb because I hadn't noticed the mineral bottles on the table. Well thank goodness the customers did not notice. Well all I can say is that it was an honest mistake? I mean really, who would have known right?

Second mistake : I was told to clear plates after the customers were done with them during the buffet. After clearing, i moved to place the plates at the steward area. I was again approached by my team leader, this time the mistake being that I hadn't tidied the napkins used by the guests. Like hello? You didn't tell me? How was I to know?

Third mistake: When I was serving the dishes to the customer, I sort of failed to balance it properly, resulting it to slightly fall to the side. Thank goodness nothing happened. My bad?

Fourth mistake : I was told to collect the beverages from the bar and serve them to the guest. I did so successfully but was once again approached by my team leader. This time it was because I hadn't cleared the tumbler on the table. Apparently if a customer orders a beverage, we should clear the tumbler on the table, unless the customer also requests for water.

Fifth mistake: After clearing the dishes, I placed them at the steward area and proceeded to continue my work. Later when I went back to the steward area with more dishes, I was told that I was to separate the cutleries and glasses. Well, it was a really tiny steward area because it was not the official area. It was only to place the dirty dishes temporarily so the hell was I supposed to know that you had to separate the cutleries and glasses. Ooohkay.

And so far that ended the mistakes of the day. Quite alot I must say. Well see, that was not all that had happened. I was scolded by a customer today. And it happened when I first walked into the restaurant. The customer called me, stating that his chicken was not cooked and demanded for the chef. He continued to scold me, saying something like the chicken should take a cab and go back to the coop or something like that. Clearly he was out of his mind and not making sense. Jeez even men have PMS. All I could say was I'm really sorry about that sir. But he still went on and on. So anyways, I alerted a senior team member and she reported to our assistant manager about the complaint. To handle the complaint, he had ordered a huge plate of fruits for the customer and apologised personally. When the chef came out, I could hear the customer scolding the chef. Like omigosh. What a terrible thing. Suddenly it just made me realise what awful situations I'd have to deal with in the near future. It was totally freaking me out that these rich people dining in the restaurant could just do anything they want ( since they have the money to cover everything ). Tsk tsk. Rich asses. Whatever man. I don't give a shit.

That was about all for the day. Well one thing's for sure, I can successfully handle a table on my own now. I know how to take orders, key it into the micros system and manage the table :D
I'm just really grateful that I've got great people working with me, teaching me a lot about what I need to learn to make it in the F&B line. That's life I suppose :)

2 comments:

I.L.C.E. said...

hey kim.. wow i must salute u! u actually managed to post every single day huh? neways, seems like u went through a lot. yeah totally agree, that's life.. from the realistic point of view lol. neways, good luck and just drop a msg if u ever need help :)

kiMmy said...

Thanks Ivan. Yeah I somehow manage to post my thoughts everyday. Mostly because it's for the daily journal report thing. And yeah, so far you're lucky. You didn't explore the other departments yet :(