Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 7. First Day in PA.

Day 7. Alrightey. So did not go well. I was caught in a massive traffic jam and ended up being late for work. Horrible start aint it? Oh well I supposed there was nothing I could have done. Maybe if the car grew wings and flew there, then I would have made it there much much earlier! Just my luck I suppose :P

Anyways, they were cool about it. I was only about 10 mins late I suppose. At least I showed up right? So public area. I was pretty excited because I would not have to wash anymore toilets and make anymore beds! WEEEEEE! Guess I spoke too soon :(

So I met the public area supervisor Sharif ( he looks like a chinese ) and he took me to Tri, a contract worker from Indonesia. Boy did I suffer communicating with her! Knowing how my BM already sucks as it is, I could barely understand what she was trying to say! She spoke no English and that made it really hard for me to attempt translating what I wanted to say in BM. Well, I guess I survived this time. So we went along to do the toilets of the restaurants as well as to clean the locker and toilets of the BOH area. Grrrr MORE TOILETS! And super dirty ones too!

So I survived through the whole encounter with toilets and moved on to the night shift whereby I was instructed to follow Kak Fadilah till my shift was over. Well she was really really funny! She kept laughing at my BM everytime! And she always jokes around with me, which is really cool. So we went to the studio where we had to clean the floors of the Sudu restaurant and the lobby. Wow I really felt it. The embarassment. And really, you can't help but notice that everyone else ( especially the other staff ), sort of looks down on you. Even when they pass by you, they don't even bother to smile or even look at you. That really made me feel insulted. And to make things worst, the customers are equally as mean! One terrible encounter I had was when I was sweeping the floors. The staff of the restaurant seriously just ignored my presence and even stepped on the rubbish that I had swept up. Yeah thanks alot right. AND, when I was done sweeping this table near some customers, they sort of purposely dusted off the table crumbs off the table onto the floors, which I had just swept! Like hello? Could they have just been a little civilised? Honestly I would not have minded if they had done it before I swept the area, but to have done that when I had already swept it, was just downright MEAN! Friggin insulting!

I had no choice but to just sweep the area again. Trying very hard to keep cool, I quickly finished my tasks and later expressed my experience to Regina and Rebecca, who had almost an equal experience. Which just makes me wonder, why is it that rich people may seem like they are civilised, but in actual fact, they are NOT! Well I hope one day they would get to experience life in the shoes of chambermaids and cleaners! HAH! IN YOUR FACE!

And that ends the day. Well I definitely learned alot more today and that is to appreciate the people around you more. Just because they are not doing some uber glamourous job, that does not mean that we have to treat them like trash! They are human beings with feelings just like us and it wouldn't do us any harm just to acknowledge the presence and hardwork of these people in maintaining the cleanliness of the place we are at. So people, please appreciate what they have done for us. And with that, I rest my case :)

No comments: