Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day 2 in Hellton

Day 2. Clearly wasn't a good start because I had to battle with the wonderful traffic jam of KL! I was nearly late for work eventhough I had left about an hour earlier and it normally takes 15 mins to get to work. Luckily I managed to make it just in time to punch in before 8am and quickly change to my oh-so-beautiful uniform before the briefing starts. Few more seconds and I would have been considered late. So thank god!

Briefing briefing. I was so lost. The executive housekeeper was a pretty nice guy ( though I have no idea what his name is XP). He briefed us about the guest complaints received and lectured us on the importance of keeping up the hotel image. I guess it really is important that we are hospitable because after all, it is the hospitality line we are in. Apart from that, he also mentioned a couple of terms like SALT and the occupancy statuses, some of which are quite familiar, prolly from theory studies in KDU. Still feeling kinda lost, I just sat and quietly listened as usual. I guess thats what trainees have to live with. Luckily I managed to befriend another trainee as well and guess what? She's from KDU too! But obviously from KDU PJ. As far as I know, I'm the only one who is not from KL. Sharon Tan. Hoping to see more of her during lunch breaks! Oh yeah lunch was pretty good today. Lamb! XD

After the briefing, I was assigned to follow team leader Aliza for today. My gosh, she sure has alot of energy for a little person her size! I almost wonder how she can do it alone without my help. I'm already on the verge of dying as it is. Anyways, we went to floor 31 to complete the rooms that needed to be cleaned. Room after room, my work adds up everytime. She really challenges me and makes sure I know what I'm doing. You may have the assumption that she is doing this because she is lazy, but she really is NOT. I can tell because she would watch me do each section everytime and den re-do everytime I make a mistake. She made me fold the same linen over and over again till it was perfect. Phew. 3 times only.





Duties for today:
1. Empty trash cans
2. Clean toilet bowl and the surrounding areas.
3. Wipe and dry shower area.
4. Replenish shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion.
5. Tidy toilet sink and wipe dry.
6. Wipe all surfaces including the writing desk.
7. Wipe all mirrors with glass cleaner.
8. Help with bed making.
9. Vacumm floor and carpet

Those were the duties for each room. But imagine this. Total number of rooms done today was about 20. So go figure. I could die towards the end. At this one point, we were waiting for this guest to check out at 3pm because it was the last and only room not done, and we had to go to the pantry and fold linens! AAAAAHHHHHH no break! Well at least we got to sit and fold? Lol
Well, today I also learned about the chemicals used to clean the room. So far I know the sanitizer and glass cleaner. Yes it sounds lame but it's confusing when they're in bottles with no labels. Only the colour is different. So yeah, not bad for 2nd day right?

Anyways, team leader Aliza finished her duties really fast. I thought I was free. But no. Turns out she has to go help her friend out. That friend of hers still had 4 rooms to do. Argh the agony. Suffering in silence. There's nothing I can do but to follow orders. Thats the life of an intern. So finally at 4.10pm, I was released! FREEDOM! My body aches all over! So thats how "interesting" today was. Tomorrow would probably be the start of a whole new experience. Who knows who I'll be following. Well then, till tomorrow, this is me signing out for the night. I have to be an aunty now and sleep really early just so i can wake up in time. Wish me luck. Hope I make it through to tomorrow. XOXO

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey sound that you pretty enjoy the job yea =) great !!
Hahaha.. I know you would easily cope with anything .. Yo !
hahaha..Take care of yourself right
don't stress and get too tired !!
you'll die ..
Take care
miss you esther

Sharon Chew said...

i know this is abit late... but i did not have my laptop with me... so now only i get to read ur blog....
glad that u are enjoying urself... and since ugot a friend name sharon too... i bet she can remind u of me in a way.... hehehe... muhahahaha....